Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pattern Review: Recycled T-Shirt Dress

So I've been crushing on this pattern
ever since I bought it a couple weeks ago.
Recycle T-Shirts into sewing projects and clothing for my kids?
I'm IN!
DIY PDF Pattern and Tutorial - Recycled T-Shirt Sienna Dress - Sizes 6M to 6 Years
So it took me a while to get around to making this
(I was too busy procrastinating Easter projects...)
but I finally made a few.

This is the first time I've worked with jersey/t shirt material.
I won't show you the first dress I made.
Let's just say that getting the hang of it was
a bit of a challenge.

But the second time around?
I am in LOVE.
Once you get used to the little nuances
of sewing with this fabric
it is CAKE.
(sweet and over fast!)



I must admit I didn't use our t-shirts.
Mr.V wears shirts until they are no longer considered material.
So I had him bring a couple home from work
and I got a couple red ones from Goodwill for less than a dollar.

I love that the pattern is for 6 mo-6 years
I'll definitely get more use out of it!
Not to mention the instant gratification of a PDF pattern
(no waiting for the mail).

I would recommend this pattern to someone
who has some sewing experience
(don't use this as your first pattern!)
and be prepared to do a "trial run"
to get the feeling of how the fabric comes together.
(The first dress I made is wearable
just not that cute...)
Take all of her suggestions
and use LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of spray starch
the fabric is so much more managable (she's not lying!)


Have to say it's one of my new favorites!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review!! I have been drooling over it for weeks! Guess I better go ahead and by it. I would also love to try the Recycled T-Shirt Halter/Tie-back Dress.

    ReplyDelete